South Island Rally 2021
Thank you for your interest in the South Island Rally.
If you missed the webinar you can watch it on our Facebook page here: https://fb.watch/8ahiAtQtpi/
Dates & Destinations
After Christmas - depart Opua for Abel Tasman via the West Coast of the North Island.
Spend January exploring Abel Tasman & The Marlborough Sounds - there is an option to stay longer and just explore this region if you don't want to head further South.
End of January head for Banks Peninsula - spend some time visiting Christchurch, the secluded bays of the Peninsula, quaint Akaroa and then wait for a weather window to head South to Stewart Island. We hope to pick up some other South Islanders here to join us going South. There are places to stop if required in Timaru, Oamaru & Dunedin en-route.
Then the rally will spend a few weeks of February exploring Stewart Island's many treasures, and then sail up to Fiordland for a few more weeks. Then start heading back to the North Island or home around March. You can spend months exploring this region without seeing it all but we can help you pick out the highlights and work to a timeframe that suits.
The dates are all very flexible and dependent on the weather, and also what the majority of the group wants to do. You'll just need to gather together at the departure points on a particular date to take advantage of the weather routing that is included in the rally cost.
If the dates don't suit you, we also have options for people who want to run to their own timetable and this will exclude the weather routing, but you'll have access to all the other rally benefits and content on offer. Please contact me for more details.
The Rally Includes:
- Assistance with getting prepared, including more webinars and regular updates containing detailed content on destinations, weather, anchoring techniques, advice on how to obtain your clean vessel pass and much more
- Passage planning assistance
- A detailed rally pack - containing lots of local information on things like tides - especially in French Pass & Tory Channel, VHF channels, & things to see and do along the way
- Use of a professional weather router for the longer passages when travelling with the rally group
- The PredictWind tracker if you have an IridiumGO which you can share with your friends & family
- 20% discount on PredictWind weather subscriptions
- Group discounted access to Marlborough Nelson Maritime Radio and Southland Maritime/Bluff Fishermans Radio for use of repeater channels, local weather and advice
- Access to discounted summer membership of Waikawa Boating Club and use of their extensive mooring options in the Sounds - (at an optional extra cost)
- Making great friends to sail with and meet the locals along the way
- Shore crew support - I'll be on the end of the phone if you need help or advice and I also hope to catch up with you at points along the way too
- Coordination with Maritime Radio & RCCNZ so they are aware of the rally movements
- An ICNZ burgee
- Lots of great deals and discounts from our suppliers including charts, safety gear, lines, sails and much more
- Local optional events and activities along the way like day tours, reprovisioning, wine tasting, BBQ's at yacht clubs, entering local club regattas and more.
Whole South Island Circumnavigation $600 per vessel
Marlborough Only $300 per vessel
Stewart Island & Fiordland only (for South Island boats) $300 per vessel
Optional extra to add on - Waikawa Boating Club package
If the rally can't go ahead because of COVID lockdowns, then the rally fee will be refundable or transferrable to another date.
You'll also need to become a member of Island Cruising if you aren't already, which is $75 per year. This will also give you access to all our cruising preparation content to help get you, your crew and your boat ready for the adventures ahead: https://www.islandcruising.nz/register
We encourage your crew to join too so they can also access all the resources and updates about the rally.
We can help with crew too if you need an extra hand for the passages or just cruising in general. While not compulsory, we recommend your crew also become members of Island Cruising so they can swot up on all the handy things to know such as passage planning, safety, navigation, watch keeping and get access all our other content and resources as well.
A rally is not a race, and you can expect to encounter some bad weather and challenging conditions on this voyage. We will help you with tips, discounts and advice to ensure your vessel is up to the safety standard to complete the voyage, and we can help you through that process too. Island Cruising will provide the information, advice and events and assistance along the way to help you prepare and undertake the voyage, but the skipper has the sole responsibility of the safety of the vessel and its crew, and the decision to set sail or participate in the rally or any events along the way is entirely up to you.
We would love to have you join us and a deposit of $100 will secure your spot with the balance due by 30 November 2021.
You can register online here: https://form.jotform.com/212636883265867
We will then send you an invoice for the rally and once we receive your deposit, you'll start getting the first rally preparation updates in the next week or so.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know.
Thanks for your support.
Island Cruising NZ
P: 021 438 977